Contact Us


Q: Where should I go to register a vehicle?

A: Please go to for all of your vehicle related questions.

Q: How much does it cost to record a deed?

A: $50.00 for the first five pages and $3.00 for each additional page plus $1.00 tax for each $1,000.00 paid for the property.

Q: How do I get a handicap placard?

A: Come into the County Clerk’s office, pick up a form and have your doctor sign it.

Q: How can I get a disabled hunting and fishing license?

A: Go to the Social Security office, pick up a TPQY (Third Party Query Procedure) form and mail it to Fishing and Wildlife in Frankfort. When you get your to card back from Fishing and Wildlife, bring it to the Clerk’s office and you can purchase a license for $5.00.

Q: How do I apply for a marriage license?

A: Both individuals will need to come into the County Clerk’s office with a picture I.D. and a Social Security card. The fee is $50.00.

Q: How can I register to vote?

A: Come to the County Clerk’s office in Stanton and we will gladly register you to vote.

Q: What hours are the Clerk’s offices open?

A: The office hours for the Clerk’s office are:
Monday: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Q: How do I become a Notary Public?

A: Notary public commissions are valid for four (4) years. The following requirements must be met:

– Applicant must be eighteen (18) years old or older
– Resident of Powell County
– Good moral character
– Capable of discharging duties imposed by law
– Cannot be a convicted felon
– Applicant must complete and application for Appointment to the Office of Notary Public Form. Form may be picked up in the County Clerk’s Office or can be downloaded from the Secretary of State website.
– Application must be signed by the Judge Executive, County Clerk or Circuit Clerk, Justice of the Peace, or a member of the General Assembly of the county of residence of the applicant(s).
– The completed application must be mailed to:

Kentucky Secretary of State
Notary Commissions
PO Box 821
Frankfort, KY 40602-0821

A $10.00 fee must accompany the application.
If approved, the applicant will be notified that a “Certificate of Appointment” has been sent to the applicant’s County Clerk. The applicant must come to the County Clerk’s Office to take the oath of office and post bond. The bond may be an insurance policy bond or a property owner can be the surety. The property owner must come to the Clerk’s office and sign for the applicant.

The recording fee is $19.00.

Q: What do I need to do if I have traffic or court issues?

A: Please call the Circuit Clerk at 270-338-7231 and 270-388-2727 (District Court number).

Contact Information

Phone: (606) 663-6444
Fax: (606) 663-6406
Email: [email protected]
Powell County Clerks Office
525 Washington St., Rm 109, Stanton, KY,
Mailing Address:
PO Box 548, Stanton, KY,

Helpful Links

Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
501 High Street
Frankfort, KY 40622
(502) 564-5301 – Office
(502) 564-4809 – Fax

Kentucky State Board of Elections
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 573-7100 – Office
(502) 573-4369 – Fax

Secretary of State
700 Capitol Avenue Suite 152
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-3490 – Office
(502) 564-5687 – Fax

Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives
300 Coffee Tree Road
P.O. Box 537
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-8300 – Office

Commonwealth Office for Technology
101 Cold Harbor Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
(502) 564-7680 – Office
(502) 564-7680 – TTY/TTD
(502) 564-2438 – Fax

Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife
1 Game Farm Road
Frankfort, KY 40601
(800) 858-1549 – Office

Kentucky Vehicle Information
501 High Street
Frankfort, KY 40622
(502) 564-5301 – Office
(502) 564-4809 – Fax

Cabinet for Health & Family Services – Office of Vital Statistics
275 East Main Street 1E-A
Frankfort, KY 40621
(502) 564-4212

Powell County Clerks

Skip to content